Golf Travel and Course Reviews
Notes from August 2014
TRAVELING TO LAKE TAHOE?
SUMMER IS NOT OVER YET IN LAKE TAHOE. THE GOLF COURSES ARE OPEN UNTIL ABOUT MID OCTOBER. IN NEARBY TRUCKEE, FOR A VERY GOOD WOMEN-FRIENDLY COURSE, CHECK OUT THE GOLF CLUB AT GRAY'S CROSSING DESIGNED BY PETER JACOBSON AND JIM HARDY IN 2007. THE FORWARD TEES ARE 5349 YARDS AND THE FAIRWAY BUNKERS ADD MANAGEABLE INTEREST RATHER THAN DEPRESSING HAZARDS. LAY-UPS ARE PROBABLY NEEDED ON JUST A COUPLE OF HOLES (17 AND 18) TO ENABLE SAFE SHOTS TO THE GREEN. THE ARCHITECTS MADE A RATHER FLAT VALLEY INTO AN INTERESTING AND VERY ENJOYABLE COURSE. KUDOS TO THE GOLF PROFESSIONALS WHO HAVE INCLUDED SLOPE AND RATINGS FOR WOMEN FOR BOTH THE WHITE AND RED/FORWARD TEES ON THE SCORE CARD. EXCEPT FOR A FEW HOLES WITH LONG CARRIES OFF THE TEE, MANY WOMEN GOLFERS WILL ENJOY TESTING THEMSELVES ON THE WHITE TEES -- JUST REQUIRES A LONGER APPROACH SHOT TO THE GREEN FOR BOGEY GOLFERS. I PLAYED A COMBO OF RED AND WHITE TEES -- LOTS OF FUN. THE COURSE IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION!
OLD GREENWOOD IS A SISTER COURSE (SAME OWNERS) AND JUST A FEW MILES FROM GRAYS CROSSING IN TRUCKEE. THE COURSE WAS DESIGNED BY JACK NICKLAUS IN 2004 AND IS CLASSIC NICKLAUS OF THAT PERIOD. THE FORWARD TEES ARE 5419 YARDS BUT PLAY MUCH HARDER PRIMARILY BECAUSE THE GREENS ARE GUARDED BY STEEP NICKLAUS BUNKERS WITH SOFT FLUFFY SAND. THE FAIRWAYS ALSO ARE DOTTED WITH BUNKERS WHICH MAKES FOR A VERY SLOW ROUND OF GOLF. WHEN THE COURSE IS BUSY, EIGHTEEN HOLES CAN TAKE ALMOST FIVE HOURS. THERE IS ONLY ONE SET OF TEES THAT MOST WOMEN WILL USE. THE NEXT LONGER SET IS 6419 YARDS -- EVEN ON MY BEST DAY, THAT'S NOT FUN.
September 2012 Notes on Courses:
MARTIS CAMP GOLF, CA. (AT NORTHSTAR AT LAKE TAHOE, CA) -- A private and pricey new golf resort with a Tom Fazio design is the best family community offering year round activity that I have seen -- and, I have seen them lots!!
ADAM'S RIB RANCH, CO -- Gypsum, CO about 40 minutes from Vail, CO is one of the best courses I played this summer. It is a Tom Weiskopf design (one of my favorite golf course architects). It may not make the 100 top courses because it is not a caddie course -- a cart is necessary. There are about 90 homesites available -- very discreetly located so as not to interfere with the beauty of the course. The course is private but does have "national" memberships; so, you don't have to build a house on site. there are several guest bungalows available for national members. Well worth a look. The word I hear is that serious golfers living in Vail area are joining the club without committing to purchasing real estate..
CORDE VALLE, CA. Do not miss a visit to Corde Valle, San Martin CA -- about one hour south of the San Francisco Airport -- to play an extraordinary course by Robert Trent Jones, Jr. Jones is a very distinctive architect whose courses have a rhythm and feel unlike many other contemporary architects. In my opinion, this is one of Jones' best. The Corde Valle resort is part of the Rosewood Resort family with high standards in both design and service. The golf season is long and shoulder seasons offer good rates. see www.cordevalle.com or contact me for travel arrangement services.
SEE MY ARTICLE (June 2011): I_70 GOLF TRAIL - VAIL COLORADO TO MOAB UTAH -- READ ABOUT THE COURSES AS THEY PLAY FROM THE FORWARD TEES. "TEE IT FOWARD"
I golf wherever I go even when not a dedicated golf vacation. I call it GOLF LITE. For information: email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I always pack a pair of golf shoes, a glove and at least one sleeve of balls. Most facilities around the world have rental clubs.
TRAVEL TIPS: When I do bring my clubs, my favorite golf bag is the light weight Burton all in one bag with a self-covering zipper top. I can fit all my clubs in it including the oversized driver -- but I do put on light head covers (hiking socks work great). The new version of the bag is rigid enough to work easily on a golf cart or on a push-pull trolley or can be carried by a caddy or me. The bag has a nice outside bag for shoes and another for odds and ends. I put that bag inside a large canvas zippered bag (the golf bag just fits) which still leaves lots of extra space for jackets and soft stuff.
Let me help you plan your next golf and travel vacation.
"Where is my ball?" Nancy asks. Playing on Tom Doak's new Cape Kidnappers in New Zealand, losing a ball is not too bad when it provides an opportunity to experience beautiful New Zealand.
If you would like Nancy to review your course for a publication, contact me directly or use the FREE HELP LINE tab.
A Partial List of courses I have played an reviewed:: Please email for articles. Many have been published on the web on www.ladiesgolfjourney.com and www.cybergolf.com/womensgolf. If you cannot find a review on line, just email me or call and I will send it to you.
COURSES I HAVE REVIEWED. (I PLAY FROM THE FORWARD TEES BUT ALWAYS REVIEW A COURSE FROM ALL TEES.)
- COLORADO (Vail-Edwards, Aspen - Grand Junction areas)-- Red Sky Ranch (Greg Norman and Tom Fazio), Vail, Lakota Canyon (Jim Engh design), Redlands Mesa (Jim Engh design), Beaver Creek (Robert Trent Jones design), Snowmass (Jim Engh), Iron Bridge (Arthur Hills), Keystone, Eagle-Vail, Eagle Ranch (Arnold Palmer), Keystone. Many of these courses are reviewed in the Rocky Mountain Golf tab in this site.
- GEORGIA -- Sea Island (Sea Island), HarborTown (Hilton Head)
- NEW JERSEY -- Crystal Springs Ballyowen (Vernon), Blue Heron
- CALIFORNIA -- Pete Dye Course at PGA West (La Quinta); PGA West Greg Norman Course (La Quinta); Mission Hills (Rancho Mirage), Silverado Golf Resort (Napa Valley), Pasatiempo (Santa Cruz) recently restored by Tom Doak.
- FLORIDA -- PGA National (Palm Beach Gardens), Ocean Hammock, The Golf Club at South Hampton (St. Augustine), Ritz Carleton at Grande Lakes (Orlando), Grand Cyprus (Orlando), Championsgate (Orlando); Osprey Disney Courses (Orlando), LPGA International (Daytona Beach),
- VIRGINIA -- Williamsburg, Reynolds Plantation
- OREGON -- Sunriver Courses
- NEW ZEALAND -- Cape Kidnappers (Napier) and Kauri Cliffs (Bay of Islands)
- FRANCE -- Biaritz and Bordeaux regions
- ITALY -- Punta Alla (Maremma region), Argentario (Punta Alla Maremma), Dolomites region